Thursday, April 25, 2013

Momma Bear

So, this is a teeny post, a teeny slice of the hell I've been going through -- and frankly failing in the end to stay positive about it. This post is also about the amazing woman who turned all Shirley McLaine, Terms of Endearment on the pharmacy's behind.

As I've noted before, my knee injury is a result of a kafooey I obtained at work. Thus getting my perceptions filled a little difficult. Long story short I ran out of vicoprofen at 6pm last night with an assurance from my pharmacy that at 12:01am today I would be able to pick up my refill with no charge to me. I went to bed, waking a little after 1 to a persistant, urgent throb in my knee. Time to go to the 24 hour pharmacy and get some relief!

Alas, that was not the case. Upon getting there, they had NO RECORD of my prescription. I couldn't believe it. I got mad, and asked again and again for them to check more, dig a little deeper. I explained as best I could the people I spoke with, the urgency of my situation, impatience and pain feeding off one another. A manager was called, no progress. I limped back to my car tears forming and drove home. And promptly broke down. I didn't even bother getting out of my car. I cried and cried, all the stresses of my life collapsing simultaneously upon my head. For a full hour I wept at my helplessness, wept for all that I can't control in my life, and wept some more as my knee sent hot fire up and down my leg.

I called my mom somewhere in between the crying and she got pissed, more pissed than I've ever heard her get. See, earlier, she had also spoken with the pharmacy as well; she knew the situation, she was in the loop about the after midnight pick-up. So, she called to see what was going on.

Miracles happen with that woman. The pharmacist called and -- to her credit -- had looked reeeeeeeeeeally hard and found all my information again. As well as the hard copy of my prescription. Let's just say I picked-up my pills in about 3 minutes after hanging up with her. And promptly took them. Bonus, I got a $50 gift card for the establishment for their super fuck up. Yay!

So don't mess with the momma bear. She means business. I love you Mom, you are the best.



(I guess this wasn't such a short post. Woops.)

2 comments:

  1. My mom is the exact same way. I've had lots of similar issues in my life, with doctors and pharmacies and all sorts of nonsense....Even if they won't listen to me, they sure listen to my super-pissed-off mom ^_^

    I'm glad you got your medication, though I'm sorry you're still in so much pain...Hope you start feeling better soon!

    ~Bre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's had to deal with this (also, I'm sorry you had to as well). Moms are awesome!

      It's not just the pain. I think individually all of my stresses and pain in life would be manageable, but I think I'm seriously getting a lifetime's all in one go. And even then, it's not that bad. I just have so little energy as it is. Dealing with low funds, tenants moving out and no funds to pay the mortgage with next month, let alone other bills, finding new tenants, unhappy at my job while feeling trapped by this knee thing, oh and the knee thing.... Given my situation I think I'm handling everything pretty well so far, but just when I think I've hit my limit and have started handling it I get another thing to overcome -- a sore throat.

      So from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your well wishes. I hope I get better soon too -- I AM better now, damnit!

      Delete