Friday, May 3, 2013

Moving Past the Old Ways

So I'm in this weird place right now. Maybe it's because I told my tenants I was coming by to take pictures of the place and it's a PIG STYE. I get that they're in transition of moving, but dang. Maybe that was just the tipping point.

What's really got me really on edge is that as when I hit this bump my old, frankly dysfunctional coping mechanisms came back out. Zoning out on Netflix for hours on end, eating fried chicken (I'm a vegetarian, for the most part), skipping meals, then binge eating. The real kicker is that even though they've come back out, they don't have the same effect they used to. I know people slip up, fall off the wagon, fall back on what they know, but now I know that doesn't work for me anymore.

And I've been feeling a little adrift.

Basically I have to learn healthy coping mechanisms, and I'm not exactly sure where to start.

Well, maybe I know one. And I'm grateful there are eyes to read it.

Thanks all.

2 comments:

  1. make a list of the old ways you wish to correct. Write them down, writing rather than just thinking about them is a critical point. Once you list them then add what events usually lead up to them. The triggers if you like. Writing them down will make it easier to see them when they are unfolding which will give you a chance to change your reactions.

    The fact that you already know this is happening is a HUGE first step that eludes many so you are already well on your way. How is the knee today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir J,

      A few months ago I actually did just that, although perhaps a more in depth description of events leading up to each is in order. I've been doing alright, and have only backtracked briefly a few instances. I think it is time, however, to rid myself of them completely, yes? Thank you for the support!

      My knee today... today, it is not so good. But I have plenty of time to rest it this afternoon and the pain will subside soon. So, all will be good.

      Has it warmed up where you are a little?

      Delete