Monday, September 30, 2013

On Becoming a Woman

Over the last few months, slowly but surely, step by step, I have taken great pains to better myself. I have taken responsibility of my life and, although there are little slip-ups, on the whole things seem to be coming together. I'm still not quite there yet (the job situation is still iffy) but I've endured to dress for the job I really want: a cozy, well-payed part-time receptionist job that fits neatly into my school schedule. You see, now that I've pretty much gotten the internal workings of a confident individual the next step on this path is to fulfill a dream of mine:

To become a lady. 


I have sincerely admired those women who wake up at 5:30 in the morning to pamper themselves. To pluck and shave and blow-dry and style until all is in place. Who make their appearance seem effortless, and a personality that shines to reflect it. I'm not saying that description is going to be me, I know my own limitations and, frankly, I have different goals. But their essence? The beauty that shines from within and is enhanced by how they care for themselves, how they are kind to others? Yeah, that's what I'm after. 

And wheeew, it's hard y'all. 

I am a yoga pants, athletic shoes, race shirt, shop at goodwill, off the rack, hair out of my face kind of gal most of the time. But what I'm after, a reflection of respect is in order. That means well-fitting clothing, kitten heels, skirts, smooth legs, styled hair, etc. It means eating better, getting my hair done at a salon, plucking my eyebrows more frequently, going to bed at a reasonable time... It means being a reflection of my best self. 

The prepping. Oof.

I know it's not really going to be that hard in a few weeks, or months, or whenever it becomes second nature. Right now is a growing period, and I have to just get used to neatness and order and discipline. Because, baby, I have big plans for my life and this is just one element.

3 comments:

  1. Not sure if you were raised in the South ( you said you are in CA ) but that whole thing is a very Southern thing to say. Women in the South take great pride in how they look. God forbid I go outside ( except to the mailbox ) wearing yoga pants if I'm not exercising. :-) You will find tips and tricks that will help you get more beauty accomplished in a shorter amount of time. Once a month, I generally have a pedicure appointment and while that is being done, a girl does my eyebrows. I clean them up weekly as necessary. I've learned to do my hair at night to save time the next morning. I've learned what thrift stores ( I like thrift stores too ) have the better second hand stuff. If you look good on the outside, it's a little easier to feel good on the inside. Superficial? Maybe. But it's a start to feeling good about yourself. Don't underestimate the power of the pamper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite my frequent use of "y'all" (or other vernacular not of my region) I am born & raised Southern Californian, but everyone I've met from the South I instantly adore. Thankfully I've kept up with a monthly waxing for years, but weekly maintenance? Hahaha! That's a new addition. Pedicures totally on my list when I have a budget for it. Great tip on the hair, thanks Mickey!!!

    As far as looking good on the outside, I think it's a reflection of caring for yourself. And, really, what's so wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as some might shake their fists at my next statement...you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Men ( and women ) are more likely to judge you positively if you look clean, presentable, and attractive. Men are visual. It's what they respond to. Women look at each other and can instantly get a sense for the other by what she is wearing, her makeup, her jewelry - how she presents herself. It's just the way humans are programmed. I might not need to get dressed up every day any more...but I take pride in my appearance. Over the years, I've learned to keep makeup, toothbrush, etc in my desk drawer at work so I can freshen up mid day after lunch.

      Delete