Monday, November 25, 2013

Back to Business

I've just completed my first real workout since my injury. Literally. Just now. Like I've just finished stretching out and in my excitement had to blog about it. Now if I'll be honest ever since worker's comp decided not to renew PT (physical therapy) back in October I dropped the ball. Why? Excuse excuse blah blah. Doesn't matter now, does it? That's the past and this is the present.

I've been in a funky mental haze lately but have noticed over the last two or three weeks that I've stopped being in bone-aching pain after work, or that even half-assing some of my PT the sharp pains have slowly gone away. Basically I've noticed that while I'm still not 100% I feel more myself athletically than I have in a long time. I have my body back.

Kind of.

I'm still way over weight and morbidly out of shape but I've come to terms with being gentle with myself. I've come to terms with my continued need for pain killers (although that's dwindling too) because I'm a still a weenie and hell no. Life is so much better when you take care of yourself and I'm sorry, but I'm not about to win an award for being Saint of the Year because of this knee. I like it when OTHER people hurt me (read: DOM), not when my own body decides to go rogue and do it thankyouverymuch.

So I've found a fitness plan (that I've modified somewhat) that will work for me. Just like school, work, and cleaning I'm going to ease into my work-outs. Oh, but I've signed up for my first 5K (set for February 1, 2014) as some extra motivation.

BOOM BITCHES.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Taking care of your body is a great first step to getting back into the swing of things. Smart to sign up for that 5K. Great motivation to keep at it.

    Happy Thanksgiving, SubGirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lurv races, and I'm glad that I can finally sign up realistically. I missed out on three 5Ks & two 10Ks I had planned (and signed up for three) this year because of this fooey injury. I finally just had to make a promise to myself to reach all of my athletic goals no matter what.Thank you so much for the support.

    Happy post turkey day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Road to recovery is always tough. Knee injuries are tricky. Proper physio is what you need. 5k is a good goal but make sure you are fit for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I won't be able to do it because of my fall, but it's still a goal to have. There has been progress, slowly but surely and I have a good group of professionals guiding me, thank heavens.

      Delete